Sunday, April 12, 2009

Dentures

Betty and I went to the movies one evening. I decided that in order to take full advantage of the environment, I needed a good chewy caramel. It tasted wonderful until I heard a loud crack when the anchor tooth snapped off. There was no pain, but my partial was loose in my mouth and had to be rebuilt to add another tooth.

Mom (Gatha) was forever using Super Glue to repair her dentures. She looked so cute when she smiled and her front tooth was missing. I prefer her smile however, with a full set of pretty white teeth.

I remember many, many years ago, Doris Faye got her first set of dentures. She was really young when she got them. She was having a hard time getting used to them. As we knelt around the bed for family prayer, Doris Faye had hardly begun and her upper dentures came flying out and onto the bed. We all had a good laugh.

We had a similar experience this week when Betty's dad went to the restaurant to celebrate his 88th birthday with Betty and Wick Bohanan. He was trying a new adhesive, Sea Bond. It didn't work as well as he hoped and he ended up with his dentures in his plate rather than in his mouth.

I watched Dad (Arlo Vance) for years eat without dentures. I appreciate his sacrifice for us, but he would have been so much more attractive with a mouth full of ivory cutting instruments. I'm personally very grateful for my dentures. They may be a bit hard to get used to, but food is so much better when we can chew it well before we swallow it.

I have been so tempted to take the plaster impressions of my teeth as a white elephant gift to a church party. Betty tells me that would be in very poor taste. Can you think of a humorous denture adventure to share with the family for a little fun?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ward and I went to Georgia to see his sister and family. We were in the middle of family prayer when I sneezed and my dentures flew out. When the prayer was over one of the children said, did I see a pair of teeth fly by? Everyone had a good laugh.


Bingham family, about 1936