Friday, November 20, 2009

80--CONTINUED--28--LIFE GOES ON

I decided to write these posts so my family would know something about our lives, but decided that there was not much interest in what I had to say, but it is also for my own history and I plan to print it out and keep a record of the things that I remember.

There was a small place where the Alamosa library sent books to Manassa, as a lending library. I was asked to be in charge of it and I was at that place (it was an old building next door to the Conejos County Gas and Oil), one day a week checking out books. The county decided to build a library near LaJara. I was ask to be on the board of directors. We planned and worked on the plans for a year or two. When the time came to get books and make a library out of the nice building, I was asked to be a paid employer and to resign as a member of the board of directors. I went to Alamosa to prepare books that were given to us from their library, as they didn't need the books that had been used to loan to Manassa. I worked there for some time to prepare the books with the name of our library and to take our the Alamosa stamp, and to be taught all they could teach me about running a library. I also helped to get new books to fill the shelves. When the Library was prepared, I went to work there.

Marie DeHerrera was hired as the librarian and Vangie as an assistant. I helped Marie to learn how to be a librarian, as they had taught me. She had a degree and had not been trained to do a library. I loved my work there. It is a nice library and is well used.

I worked there for 6 years. When Arlo had surgery in Denver, I spent all of the time that he was there with him.. Larue and Harold lived in Colorado at that time and I stayed with them and rode a bus back and forth to the hospital. I worked when we were home again, and while we were waiting for him to be able to go on our mission. When we got our mission call, I was replaced and didn't work again until we returned from our mission. When I returned, I went back to work again. I was working and came home on December 7th. The house was dark and I was anxious, because Arlo was always home and had lights on. I found him in his chair. He had died. There are times when life takes a sudden change. My eternal companion and dear husband went on ahead of me.

I stayed on at the library for a year and was glad to have the work. At the end of the year, I moved to Mesa. My library days were past. That time was a special time of my life. I had spent 7 years helping to establish and run the Conejos County Library,

3 comments:

Kent said...

I had all but forgotten about the little building next to the garage and the books that were part of Manassa's "sattelite library". I remember a set of encyclopedias that were published the year I was born. It was fun to read what was written "in the olden days." I had those books for a long time.

Books can have such an influence for good in our lives. I remember the little books that you would bring home from general conference each year. I really enjoyed reading those short little stories.

I was gone from home before the library was built next to the High school.

The last year of high school, I worked in the Centauri library processing books from Capulin. They discarded some and I have carried somee of them around for years. One was the "Story or Roland". I started to read it, but after reading about half way into the book, I decided that it just didn't appeal to me. The stories were interesting, but the author didn't do a good job of developing the characters or making the stories come alive for me. He just told them in a humdrum sort of fashion. I finally discarded the book, and am looking for the "Song of Roland". I am told that it was written a much more captivating style.

Remember the book, Beginnings? That was quite a comedy of errors wasn't it?

I love books, and I love you, mother for helping me develop that relationship with the printed word.

Larry said...

It is time for another update!

Jeanette said...

I have always been interested in you and Arlo's life. Sorry I misled you. Please keep writing.


Bingham family, about 1936