Wednesday, June 23, 2010

80--CONTINUED--32--VietNam

Wars seem to be a part of our lives. LaRue's Husband Harold, was in both the Korean and VietNam wars. While he was in Korea, Eddie was born. LaRue and I were both pregnant and we decided to have our babies at home. We lived in Romeo at the time and LaRue stayed with us while we were expecting our babies. Eddie was born first and Larry was then born. Eddie and Larry were close in age, but never built a very good relationship with each other. While Harold was in VietNam, LaRue had a trailer home on the property were we lived in Manassa. Larry and Eddie just never were good friends.

After Kent's mission he served in VietNam, in the Army. Later he was in Colorado Springs, where he met Phyllis, who was also in the Army. They married and are the parents of two of my precious grandchildren. Kent is the only one in my immediate family to be in the service of our country. Keith was in the Navy in World War II. He was the only one of my brothers or sisters to be in the service. Arlo and Ward, (my husbands), both served in the Army. I was so very thankful for their willingness to serve, and for the blessing that each of them came home safely.

I love our country and am thankful to the people who put their lives on the line to protect our freedoms.

1 comment:

Kent said...

I will never forget the trip from Manassa to Oakland where I thought I would drop off my duffle bag and go visit the Oakland temple. That never happened. I could see the lights of the temple from the balcony, but once I entered the gates of the replacement center, I was not allowed to leave until I boarded the plane to fly to Vietnam. We went through Anchorage, Alaska and Guam on the way. It was a long, long flight.

I was scared to death when we landed in Ben Hua. It was dark and the runway was under fire. We could see tracer rounds quite well in the dark.


Bingham family, about 1936