Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Early Years

This is the time that our family still lived in Manassa. We lived in a house that was across the street from the McKenzie family. I was about 5 years old when we moved from the house where the Johnsons live. Helen and I were the same age. We enjoyed each other, but our mothers didn't let us have much time together. That is were we lived when I started school.

My first grade teacher was Edna Potts. She was my dad's cousin. I don't remember a lot about that year, but some of my classmates were: Helen McKenzie; Betty Jean Johnson (DeGolyer), my cousin; Coral Bagwell (Sowards); Dorothy Weston; Coleen Sowards; ViDella McKinney (Jack); and Shirley Jackson (Lippincott).

My second grade teacher was Lois Jackson and my third grade teacher was Maxine Jensen. Our school building was the same as my children went to school in. It hadn't changed from the time I was there until it was destroyed.

We moved to the house between Romeo and Antonito when I was in the fourth grade. That is the home that I look at as my old home. That is the time that I remember the best.

1 comment:

Kent said...

I enjoyed doing our little tour last summer with Don and Gloria. I've always know where you grew up, but that tour gave me a taste of what your childhood was like. It helps me understand why you like the gardening so well.


Bingham family, about 1936