Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Los Alamos

Dad worked in Los Alamos after it had been a boys school. They were preparing for the atomic bomb there, He worked in the winter, when there wasn't so much to do on the farm, so there was some cash. Sometimes Mom would take him to work so she had the car. some of the other kids rode with them, but I never did. Keith and I usually stayed home to do the chores and keep the house. They told us that the roads were awful in the winter time. They can be bad now. I think they must have been terrible. Dad said the they built a building that had six foot thick walls. He couldn't imagine what they were doing there. He worked there as a carpenter.

After Keith came home from the navy, he went to Los Alamos and lived with Bud Richardson's family. That is where he met and married Erma Rae. There was a time when we went to visit, we had to wait at the gate for them to take us in. People were not allowed to just drive in. They had to have a pass.

While Dad was working in Los Alamos, our cellar burned down. It was a big potato cellar and it was big enough to park our car in it. Luckily the car didn't burn. Our lights were out and the fire engine came. It was a scary time.

Dad had a lot of talent. He could do most any job. One winter he worked at Pando, a place where they trained soldiers to ski. That was for skiers who went into Germany through world War II. It is in Colorado mountains. He did carpenter work there too.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow, that's inetesting information Grandma! I bet you and Keith were close.

Kent said...

I remember going to Los Alamos to visit. The old gate building that used to be where they stopped you from going in without a pass was a restaurant called "The Gate".

I enjoyed the view from Keith and Erma's home in Los Alamos. You could see a bridge across the canyon. I don't know if it is still there since the fire that burned so much of Los Alamos.

Unknown said...

The bridge is still there. We went over it as we came home. We drove through Farmington and it was closest going the back way in Los Alamos. I couldn't see where the fire was in town. It was on the mountain as we went further North.

Andrea, I have always been close to my brothers and sisters. That is what I want for my grandchildren too. I want to be close to all of you. I love you so much.

Larry said...

Do you hear from Keith's children?


Bingham family, about 1936