Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My childhood

The first memories I have are when we lived in Saguache. Keith and I were playing in a two wheeled trailer , going back and forth in it until it hit the ground on front and then back. I fell out and cut my head. I still have a scar from that.

We moved from there to Manassa, We lived in a house that Eda and Rex Johnson live in now. We lived across the street from Wayne Rogers. They was an older couple, Aunt Tea and Uncle Al Nielson, that lived on the Southwest corner of the block on the South of us. We bought milk from them. Aunt Tea was Grandma Dunn's sister. She died and Phil Married Uncle Al. That is Nancy Dunn's mother.

While we lived there Mom was washing clothes in a washing machine in the back of the house. Keith and I got under the front porch and started a fire. It burned a hole in the porch. We ran to tell Mom that the house was on fire. She hurried and got the fire out.

We moved from that house to a house on the southwest corner of town. That is where we lived across the street from Lillie and Arch McKenzie. They were Helen Culler's parents. Helen and I always loved each other. We lived there until we moved to Romeo to the farm that is two and a half miles from Romeo and two and a half miles from Antonito. That is the home that we spent most of our lives with our family.

14 comments:

Laraine said...

Thanks for this story, Gatha. I love learning about these family stories.

Kent said...

Mom, these vignettes are priceless. Thank you for taking the time to share these little memories.

Larry said...

A few questions.

Where do Rex and Eda Johnson live now?

Who is Phil?

Who is Nancy Dunn? Do you mean Rex Dunn's wife?

Kent said...

Phil Nielson is Nancy Dunn's mother. She used to come into the garage to have her car serviced. I believe she lived two blocks north of the service station on 3rd street. I could be mistaken about the location.

Unknown said...

Eda and Rex Johnson live 2 blocks north of the Catholic Church on the northwest corner of that block. That is where we lived until I was about four years old.

Kent said...

So Eda and Rex Johnson are still in Manassa? They are really good people. I wonder where their children are now.

Unknown said...

Rex and Eda Johnson still live in the house I talked about. Janice married and her husband became a bishop and a school teacher. They did live in Monte Vista, but I don't know if they still do. I don't know about the boys. I saw Randy and Chris at the 24th celebration the last time I was there.

Larry said...

I am having difficulty visualizing a house two blocks north of the catholic church where you could have lived.

Kent said...

It would be nice to get back to the valley again and to a Photo essay of the places we have talked about in our posts. That's another good assignment that I'll try to add to my list.

Larry said...

How about next year we plan an excursion to the Valley and do that.

Kent said...

I think that would be a fun thing to do. You can count me in.

Larry said...

I am interested in doing this next July during the celebration period. Would that work for you?

Kent said...

That sounds good to me. I need to apply for vacation as soon as we can after the beginning of 2009. I haven't been back to the valley during the celebration for several years.

I have tender feelings for Manassa, but it doesn't feel like home to me any more.

Larry said...

It is tentatively on my calendar.


Bingham family, about 1936