Sunday, March 29, 2009

80--CONTINUED--19

I have been trying to think of things to add to my posts. Some of the things that come to mind are some of the thing we did as my children were at home. Arlo never had time to go with us as we wandered here and there, but we did do a lot of things. We went to Las Alamos several times. One time we went with my sisters and all of the children. There was a crowd of us. We went to see Nona and were in the VW pickup and it broke down. I don't remember how we got home, but Arlo had Tommy Rogers load the pickup on his truck and bring it home. The motor was replaced several times on that vehicle. It also gave us a problem as we drove it home from Los Alamosa. We did get it home that time.

Several times we went to Denver to take Bonnie Lynn for a check up on her ear. I went back to see what I had written about these things and found that I had told most of these things before. I know that as I am getting older it is easy to tell the same story many times, sorry about that. I could erase this but it took time and thought so just read it again. I don't think anybody is reading this much anymore anyway.

It has been fun to watch the great grandchildren come along. Our first great grandchild is Matthew. He is a blessing to us. I don't know the order of the grandchildren, so I need to go to my records to check that out.

Wow, I got comments before I finished the post. I was taking some time to think about the things that happened in those times.

Kent reminded me of the floats we made for the garage. The year that he was talking about was the year that Jack Dempsey came to Manassa. Kent helped me make a whale on the VW pickup. I think I have a picture of it. If I can find it I will put it on the blog. We made the whale out of the pickup and a float on a trailer behind it with a chain and a spear attached in the whale. Diane Luster was riding in the float behind. That was a big job. It was shown on Albuquerque television. It got second prize in the parade. I don't remember how many floats I made, but I did one every year for a time. We lived around the corner from the highway that run through town. The parade started on the West end of town and went the mile to the East end of town. It went through town both directions. So we could watch it twice. Cars were parked on both sides of the streets. The town was full. Many side streets had cars parked and they walked to watch the parade. I think our parades were as good as any small town parade. There were beautiful floats.

Manassa was really busy the year that Jack Dempsey came for the celebration. The 24th of July was a special time in Manassa. We always had two days of celebration. The first day started with a blast of dynamite to wake everyone up. There was a parade both days at 10 o'clock. Some years they had a program about the early days of the town or of the church. A barbecue was served in the cultural hall both days. There was a hamburger stand, a carnival and a rodeo at the fair grounds. The rodeos were pretty professional, with bucking horses, bull riding, calf roping, barrel racing. and other fun things. They had cotton candy and snow cones and other food.

The town became a large place as families had family reunions and people coming to help celebrate. The stores closed for the parade and the rodeo. There were people everywhere.

4 comments:

Larry said...

That was the German revenge on on the US for WWII.

Kent said...

Do you remember the year that we built a float over the VW pickup. The theme was Moby Dick, and the pickup became a white whale. It was a lumpy, white whale for the parade.

Since the engine was air cooled and we had the whale body covering the motor compartment and because the parade moved along so slowly, the engine overheated.

Gloria said...

I remember a float that looked like a rooster!

Kent said...

The float with a rooster was another fiasco. It was a beautiful float, but half way through the parade, the support beam fell off and the rooster came crashing down. Instead of looking a fighting rooster, it ended up looking like a hen laying eggs. A colorful hen, but a hen nonetheless.


Bingham family, about 1936