Saturday, January 17, 2009

# 1 of 160 years or 2 80's

I told Kent that I would post some of the things that were in the two 80 lists of accomplishments. I will start at my birth. I was born in Antonito, Colorado, on 24 October 1928. We lived in Antonito for a very short time. My dad was working in a store, in the meat market. He was very apt at many things. He said "he could do all things but master of none" , We moved back to Manassa, we had lived there when Keith was born, I was born, between Keith and Leon. Leon was born in Manassa while we lived there, that time.

After Leon was born, we lived in Saguache, next. We lived there one summer. Keith broke his arm and I cut my head as we fell out of a two wheel trailer. Dad worked for Homer Crow. The man that we later bought our farm from.

We moved back to Manassa, we lived there when Barbara and LaRue were born. We lived across the street from Gloria's grandparents. Helen and I were good friends at a very early age. The house that we lived in was in the south west corner of town.

When I was eight years old, my dad's aunt Mattie died, as a small child Dad's parents died and his sister May and Dad lived with Aunt Mattie part of the years as he was growing up. Our family went to California to settle Aunt Mattie's estate. She owned a home near Los Angles and she had no children. Dad and Aunt may inherited that home. All of us went. Ethel and Don lived there then and Also Hazel and Jimmy. We stayed with them. Mom's sister Doris went with us, too. One day we went to the beach and on the way back to Ethel's home there was a sign which said "Airplane rides $2:00, Keith and Mom and Dad and Hazel and Doris, and I went for a ride in a small plane. The others went back to Ethel's. We were in two cars. That was before I had even seen an airplane.

On the way home from California, we went through Mesa, Arizona and were sealed as a family in the Mesa Temple. That was the first time I had ever seen orange trees and palm trees. All of that was very interesting. Because of the money from the estate we were able to buy the farm.

We moved from there to the farm which was three and a half miles south of Romeo and three and a half miles north of Antonito. That is where we considered home. Doris Faye was born in manassa at Grandma Dunn's home, we lived in Romeo. Our family was complete.

I was in the third grade in Manassa, when we moved to Romeo. The school in Romeo was in a large two story brick building that had been built for a bank and other purposes. All of the classes were in that building, from first grade through high school. There were two class in each of the rooms from the first grade through the eighth. High School was in two rooms. we had the best hot lunch. The cooks were the best. I loved school though I was never as good a pupil as my brothers and sisters. Keith and Barbara were math genius', I was never good in math or science. My favorite subjects were reading and English. Leon was so great at memorizating. He could read a thing once and had total recall of it.

The top floor of the school had regular basketball standards. The hot lunch was also on that floor. There was a kitchen and one class room. There was a stage, too. I was in the last class that graduated from Romeo High School. Three of us graduated that year. Dorothy Sorenson, Joe Casias and Me. The following summer the school burned. the students were divided between LaJara and Manassa schools.

One of the things that I loved was my good friends. Nona Camp, Edith Hicks, Dorothy Sorenson, Cleo Carr, and a number of boys. When I was a senior all of the boys my age, except Joe Casias were in the service.

First epistle. TO BE CONTINUED.

2 comments:

Kent said...

Mom, I see that you got your article published. Thank you. It's so nice to see your history. It helps us understand you and understand ourselves better.

I appreciate your effort.

Larry said...

Do it again.


Bingham family, about 1936