Wednesday, January 21, 2009

80 -- CONTINUED --3

I hope to touch on all of the things in the 2 lists of 80.

I missed telling about my baptism. I was baptized in Manassa in the old brick Stake building that is on the northeast corner of the church lot, on 1 November 1936. There was a baptismal font, in the basement, at that time. I don't think it is there anymore. I don't remember much about it, but I am thankful for that blessing in my life.

Arlo and I moved several times before he went to work for Ed Guymon, and we moved into their two room house. There was no indoor plumbing, so we had a path. There was a running artisian well. The water was wonderful, sweet and icy cold. We had an oil heating stove and a cook stove that was heated by oil also. We heated water for washing and we carried the water for any use we had.

TO BE CONTINUED !

Doris Faye was living with us when we moved there. We lived there when Don was born. He was a sweet red head. Both Arlo and I thought that he was the best child that was ever born. He slept through the night, from the time we brought him home. Arlo washed out his dirty diapers. Can you believe that. He was so proud of him. Life does a drastic change when babies come. It was a cold winter night when Don was born. We had the model A and there was no anti-freeze, so we drained the car every night. When we were preparing to go to the hospital, Arlo had to fill the radiator with water and He had such a hard time getting it filled. He was so nervous. Don was born in the Alamosa hospital. Everything went well. The doctor that delivered him was Dr Hurley. He was the doctor that had delivered me and all of my brothers and sisters. He talked about my mom as he was waiting for Don to get here. I felt the presence of my mom at the time. I think she was there when each of my children were born.

I often took the children, Doris Faye and Don and the other children as they came, to see Grandma Dunn. She was like a mother to me and I felt her need at times.

Eighteen month later Kent was born. He had dark hair and was a good son. Kent has always been a special person to me. I was so proud of my boys. There are a lot of things that make a family. I loved my little family.

We were in the Richfield Ward when we moved there. I was a counselor in the Primary while we lived in Richfield. The LaJara chapel was built when we lived there and Arlo worked on the building. In the winter, there wasn't much work to be done on the farm, so Ed paid him to work on the chapel.

I taught a primary class there. One day the car wouldn't start. It was a heavy car. Not the model A. Arlo had made a crank for it, because that happened sometimes. I cranked and cranked and couldn't start the car. Finally I went into the house and prayed that the car would start, because I felt a great responsibility to be there to teach my class. I went back out and turned the crank once. The car started. I got there, but I was really tired. I know that prayers are answered. I love the Lord and am thankful for his care.

Three years after Kent was born we had Bonnie Lynn. I had always wanted a girl and was so pleased to get my sweet Bonnie. She was a red head, although it didn't really show red until she was about a year old. I told Grandma Dunn that it was red, but she didn't think so. I liked her beautiful hair. The Lord greatly blessed us as a family. When Bonnie was four years old, her eyes were crossed and she had surgery to correct them, Uncle Bill payed for that surgery. It is wonderful to belong to a good family, who are there for you when you nave a need.

4 comments:

Kent said...

This is Beautiful, Mom. I am so grateful that you have taken the time to do this for us.

I guess I am kind of vain. I love anything that has anything to do with me and my family that I love.

Larry said...

You always save the dessert for last.

Larry said...

I am expecting to see 160 posts... one for each of the 160 items in the list.

I have enjoyed what you have written, and I know that others have also enjoyed what you have written.

Andrea said...

I don't see anything about Larry!! You must be the dessert!


Bingham family, about 1936