Friday, February 13, 2009

80--CONTINUED--11



The week that my car, that had been Elma and Boyd's burned, Larry had a terrible mishap. He was working at a service station, a part of a school program, He was trying to take the steering wheel off his car, for some unknown reason and I called to tell him to hurry home or he would be late for Grandpa Dunn's funeral. A short time later Gordon Dean came to the mortuary and said Larry had been in a car accident and was in the hospital, which was by the place where the accident happened. Larry did not put the screws back in the steering wheel and it came off in his hands. The car was hit broadside by Mr and Mrs Zinn and their baby (Troy, Marcy's husband) and Mrs Zinn was in the hospital also. Arlo and I were in a state of shock. We didn't know if we should go to the funeral or the hospital. I called the hospital and talked to Doctor Thomas. He said Larry has cuts and bruises and some broken ribs, but he will be alright, so go to the funeral. Larry had cuts on his throat by his jugular vein, but he as OK.

Kent Had an accident on the way to Colorado Springs, after the funeral, where he was stationed in the Army. He was on the east side of Wolf Creel Pass, almost to walsenburg. Kent called Arlo but he wasn't at the station. Ronnie Nite went to see how he was and take him where he needed to go and I didn't even know anything about it until Ronnie had already gone. I was really upset that they didn't give me a chance to go to see how he was. His car was in a garage in Walsenburg until it was repaired. The insurance that Kent had on the car sent a check to pay the damage, but the man at the garage would not accept the check, so Kent had to go back again with the money to pay for the car. I went with him, the man was not going to accept the money either. I was so aggravated at the man. Kent told him to take the money or the car. He then said take your car. I told the man that he was not an honest man. I embarrassed Kent. He had been afoot for quite a while and needed the car. He made three trips to pick it up. Kent, please, add some of the things about your accident.

That was three cars in three days. Kent got his back. Mine was ruined. Larry's was as bad as a car could be and he got out of it alive. I think there is a picture of it somewhere.


I got a long way ahead of my story. After we went to the temple, the missions, began. Donnie went to a Central American Mission. He served in several countries. I would like for each of you to tell us (in this history), some things about your missions.

Kent went to Mexico on his mission. Bonnie went to Idaho on her mission and Larry went to Argentina. Arlo and I went to Arizona, Holbrook for our mission. After Arlo died I went to Seattle Washington and after I married Ward, we went to Chicago, North. Our missions were a wonderful part of our lives. Please each one of you tell about your missions.

Before these things happened, The Manassa High School was joined with LaJara, in a new school building, South of LaJara. The School was called Centauri. Donnie and Kent and Bonnie all graduated from Centauri High school. Larry was a senior. Donnie had played football and broke his shoulder and wasn't able to play anymore. All of my children were smarter than I was in school. Kent was working in the school library and they were combining an old library in Capulin and had duplicate books. Kent brought several boxes of books home. There were some of the classics.

I was helping Arlo in the garage, because all of his helpers were busy at other things. The books that Kent brought home were such good books and as I helped in the garage, I read most of the books. I enjoyed working at the garage with Arlo. I think that was the best time we had together. We really enjoyed each other. Well, our mission was also a great time.

I'm not sure the order of things. I'm just telling things as they come to my mind. Not necessarily in the time they happened.

TO BE CONTINUED!

5 comments:

Larry said...

Things come in threes.

Kent said...

Your memory of the incident in Walsenburg differs from mine. I remember going to pick up my car. We had the insurance check with us, but the man who did the work wanted more money than the check. I told him that I had no more money and no way to get more. I told him he could accept the check or I would tear it up.

That's when you told him he was a dishonest, greedy man. I was embarrased but he did give me my car.

I hadn't gone very far north of Walsenburg when a State Patrolman gave me a ticket for speeding. Walsenburg still isn't my favorite place to be.

Kent said...

I've added three pictures to your article. The first two are not actually our cars, but they are as close as I could find to what they were like. The third picture is actually of Larry's wrecked car.

That really was not a good time in our lives was it?

Unknown said...

I think in a way as bad as the destruction of two cars and the hurt of the other, that nobody was injured for life was a miracle. In that sense it was a good year.

Kent said...

I don't know who changed out the first photo I added. I think the new photo is more the correct than model I had posted, but Mom's car was dark blue.


Bingham family, about 1936