Monday, February 9, 2009

80--CONTINUED--9

Time all runs together, There are so many things to remember. Kent has talked may times about Aunt Lori and I, taking Him, Don, Mitch and Mike to Aspen Glade to spend some time in the mountains, To this day I can't figure out why I was so foolish to take you to the mountains when you were so young, without supervision. The stories get better with time. I think that is what Larry meant when he said He didn't remember going to Denver and the things that happened. Memory of the same things are different in different minds. If several people tell a story about the same experience there can be, three different stories. I hope the things that I have told are good memories.

When Arlo and I were married, I was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Arlo was baptized, but knew nothing about the church and didn't care to be involved. For several years, it was difficult for me to get to church, but as you children grew old enough to go to Primary I made up my mind that you would be thaught and raised as I had been, in a very active situation. I began taking you to church and trying to teach you all that I could. Arlo's interest was in hunting and fishing. Sometimes we went to the mountains with him and all of us enjoyed that. Sunday was the only day Arlo had off work so he had his interests and I had mine. After we moved to Manassa, he did go to church with us sometimes. There began to be more interest. When Don was reaching mission age I was very anxious to be able to go to the temple with Arlo and our children. We were going to a cottage meeting each Monday night, where several men and their families were being prepared to go to the temple. I was afraid that if we didn't go before our children were out of the home, we may not be able to go all together. I fasted for 2 days a week for nearly a year to have that great blessing. The ward was planning a temple excursion. Elma was teaching a temple preperation class. Arlo was interested. He had tried to live the word of wisdom, but it was hard for him. When the time came and he didn't mentiuon going, I was anxious. Two days before the time to go he came to me and ask me if we could be ready to go. I believe that was the happiest time of my life. We did go and Don got his endowment at the same time that Arlo and I got ours and we were sealed as a family. I will forever be thankful for that blessing.

For several years I went into General Conference. I was on the Stake Relief Society Board and at that time, there was a Relief Society Conference several days before General Conference. I went for seven years with the Relief Society and was later changed to the Stake Primary Board. I still got to go to Salt Lake. The Relief Society Conferenes were held at Fall conference time and the Primary Conference was held in the Spring. I went to Primary Conference for seven years.
The church discontinued those special conferences. All together I went for fourteen years.

Arlo used to tell me that I didn't cook fish right. one year when I got home from Salt Lake,one of you tokd me that Dad didn't know how to cook fish either.

TO BE CONTINUED--

5 comments:

Kent said...

I make a conscious effort to embellish the Aspen Glade story each time it is told.

To be truthful, I don't remember a lot about it. I remember that we floated the air mattresses out of the sleeping bags down the river. Dad would have given us a blistering.

We tried to make Kool Aid using powdered Kool Aid and Karo Syrup. It was awful. We had to throw it away.

I had fun, but at the end of the week, I was homesick. I walked to the ranger station to call home and when the Ranger asked me what I wanted, I started cyring.

Bud Parker brought me home and left the other three up in the mountains. They weren't ready to come home.

I have to give Mom a hard time about abandoning us in the mountains, but in reality, we had a lot of fun.

Larry said...

Gatha posted 160 part 9
Satisfies curiosity mine
I desire more information
On how we are filling this nation
Get 160 part ten in line!

Unknown said...

That sounds like a big order, 160 more, but the posts have more in them than one thing. One day I will check out how many of the 180 are covered.

Larry said...

I see how embellishment happens over time. Look at the last comment and see by the end of the post 160 has grown to 180. Next thing you know we will be talking about 240.

Unknown said...

Ouch! 240. Will I live long enough?


Bingham family, about 1936